Billabong was founded on Australia's Gold Coast in 1973 by surfer and surfboard shaper Gordon Merchant and his then partner, Rena. Those early days were rather inauspicious, with the pair designing boardshorts at home, cutting them out on the kitchen table and then carting the finished product around to the local surf shop to sell.
From these humble beginnings, Billabong was born.
The Billabong Group is now one of the largest boardsport and lifestyle brands in the world. We have an impressive team of unique brands including Billabong, RVCA, Element, Von Zipper, Honolua and Xcel and retail banners including Quiet Flight, Becker Surf and Beachworks.This will be a temporary role for 4 months. The Product Developer is responsible for partnering with Design and Merchandising to develop and bring to market the most well executed and innovative wetsuit, surf shirt and outerwear lines in the market. The Product Developer will need to help execute and drive innovation platforms across those categories, connected to the borader product range and brand stragety.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Lead the development and execution of products in the Surf Categories, of wetsuits and surfshirts for the Billabong Men’s brand, as well as assist in bring new fabrications, techniques, treatments and processes to the categories to remain on the leading edge of the design and innovation.
- Assist in regional adoption and development of Snow / Outerwear categories for Billabong Men’s.
- Help implement innovation platforms across multiple categories / participate in blue-sky projects to drive the brand and performance categories forward.
- Identify new sourcing opportunities to drive quality, innovation, and speed to market for the brand.
- Ensure product lines are brought to market in a timely and profitable manner.
- Ensures product development is in accordance margin requirements and production calendar.
- Acts as liaison between merchandising, design and production teams.
- Work closely with Director of Global Wetsuits in reviewing prototypes, and submits for approval for all categories from design concept to production.
- Work directly with suppliers to ensure they understand the design requirements through daily communication.
- Ensure that all artwork, prints, and fabrics for sourcing are sent in correct format with all correct information to suppliers.
- Work closely with production team to ensure that styles are executed properly in bulk production.
- Work with PLM Regional Project Manager to ensure that all necessary content, color codes, and correct style information is available for style set up in PLM.
- Work with Spec Controller to ensure that all information on Line Plan, PLM, catalog, and AS400 are all correct and up to date.
- Responsible for PLM management including style set-up for all styles and trims by creating and maintaining BOM’s, updating style information and changes as necessary, all sample comments, and approvals.
- Manage time and action calendar for assigned categories to meet all deadlines.
- In-depth product development knowledge of wetsuit / outerwear categories.
- Knowledge of product development calendar, timelines, and deliverables.
- Develop key relationships with vendors suppliers .
- Must be able to multi task and work in fast paced environment.
- Must be proactive with a solution/result oriented attitude.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication and follow through skills.
- Must be highly organized and detailed oriented.
- Must be MAC computer literate in Applications – Adobe Illustrator, Word, and Excel.
- Degree, Product Development or Merchandising preferred.
- 2+ years experience in product development.
- Good working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- PLM system knowledge