RVCA is the brainchild of company founder and president, PM Tenore. Transcending the boundaries of traditional action sports apparel, RVCA is a design-driven lifestyle brand free from passing trends. Appearing as a natural on the shelves of boutiques as on those of a local skate shop, RVCA is brought together by a group of like-minded individuals from various subcultures, a collaboration of sorts, a lifestyle within itself.
RVCA in essence is redefining the way the market views art and fashion as represented through the balance of opposites and how they coexist: water, oil; air, land; destruction, industrialization; art, science; foreign, domestic; order, chaos; past, present.
The Sport Design Director is primarily responsible to conceptualize,
design and guide seasonal ranges and partner in go to market strategy for RVCA Sport. Identify and interpret key market trends, execute
effective seasonal category strategies building on anniversary business and
category foundations while moving the brand forward and bringing product
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Identify key sport market trends and interpret these trends appropriately for RVCA design ranges.
- Makes decisions based on market research strategies and partnering with key advocates.
- Selection of seasonal fabrics, trim, body design.
- Develop seasonal design intent and full go to market strategy.
- Ensure technical specification packs are completed and accurate and on time.
- Manage and adhere to department calendar.
- Undertake market research and analysis using RVCA athlete advocates, key accounts, media, shopping, internet, travel etc. to establish style, color, fabric and concepts of upcoming season.
- Collaborate with Creative Director, Marketing director, and Sales Director on establishing key seasonal “Big Stories” and product strategy.
- Build relationships with other RVCA International Divisions to foster the global design strategy.
- Direct involvement in the structuring of the line architecture.
- Conduct regular competitor analysis activities.
- Attend key account meetings.
- Manage the development of concepts and ideas for each season, including athlete and marketing tie-ins.
- Approve proposed garments ensuring best use of colour, fabrics, trim, logo, graphics and garment finishing.
- Presentation of collection to internal and external teams.
- Ensure timely samples are developed and built for adopted product range.
- Ensure progressive development of the Design Intent document.
- Ensure ‘road’ sample package is produced.
- Be invested in smart product engineering to help achieving IGP.
- Manage the progressive finalization of garments from concept to production stage.
- Ensure cost conformity with the Merchandising Team.
- Manage the timely handover of bulk specifications.
- Develop knowledge of supplier base and sourcing activities.
- Review Design Intent document with the Marketing Team and Men’s Creative Director.
- Provide input for seasonal photo shoots to Men’s Creative Director.
- Assist the Marketing Team in the selection of media material.
- Ensure Design Intent document is effectively communicated to the Sales Team.
- Liaise with Sales Account Managers to ensure the right product lines are developed.
- Review and set department objectives with performance measures for the Design Team.
- Manage the Design Team to achieve team objectives.
- Provide personal development including training, career planning opportunities for all team members.
- Ensure all team members have Individual Development Plans supportive of the department objectives and receive regular feedback and coaching for their own advancement.
- Provide leadership and management to the Design team.
- Communicate seasonal design intent and logo direction to other development areas.
- Other tasks may be assigned from time to time which contribute to the overall success of the company.
- Tertiary qualifications in Fashion Design is essential.
- Proven knowledge of industry design with garment construction experience.
- Understanding of graphic art, colors, fabrics, trim and fit is essential.
- Sound knowledge of sport, fashion and fabric industry.
- Understanding the needs of the market, retailers, suppliers and merchandisers.
- Minimum of 5-7 years relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience to research and develop designs, ideas, themes and convert ideas into products.
- Experience in the development of themes through story boards.
- Thorough knowledge of the product design process.
- Experience in sourcing and production of suppliers.
- Experience in briefing, directing and supervising a team of designers.
- Capability to independently manage projects, present and report at a senior management level.
- Ability to manage the design and development of a complete range.
- Ability to recognize trends, conceptualize ideas and develop products.
- Ability to delegate and follow up on delegated tasks.
- Highly developed organization and time management skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including the ability to coach and lead people and develop a strong team culture.
- High level problem solving and decision making ability.
- Outstanding communication and influencing skills to deal effectively with a broad range of internal and external clients.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Research skills
- Business management skills are desirable.
- Display passion and motivation for a dynamic, sport, surf/skate lifestyle work environment.