Billabong was founded on Australia's Gold Coast in 1973 by surfer and surfboard shaper Gordon Merchant and his then partner, Rena. Those early days were rather inauspicious, with the pair designing boardshorts at home, cutting them out on the kitchen table and then carting the finished product around to the local surf shop to sell.
From these humble beginnings, Billabong was born.
The Billabong Group is now one of the largest boardsport and lifestyle brands in the world. We have an impressive team of unique brands including Billabong, RVCA, Element, Von Zipper, Honolua and Xcel and retail banners including Quiet Flight, Becker Surf and Beachworks.
We are currently looking for Corporate Counsel to fill a temporary role for 6 to 9 months. This is a rare in-house opportunity for an enthusiastic 4-6 year corporate/commercial lawyer looking to apply their legal skills in a dynamic environment.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Reporting to Billabong's International General Counsel & Company Secretary (based in Australia), this role is exposed to a variety of quality legal work across Billabong's businesses, working with all levels of the organisation in assisting with the management of the Group’s legal responsibilities.
- Negotiating and drafting a range of commercial contracts including marketing, distribution, IP licences and athlete and event sponsorship agreements.
- Advising the business on a broad spectrum of legal issues including intellectual property, privacy and competition law matters.
- Assisting General Counsel on mergers and any other corporate transactions and provide general corporate/commercial advice.
- This is a challenging and exciting role with a high profile international market leader with household name brands.
- 4-6 years general corporate / commercial experience
- The ideal candidate will have sound legal training from a well regarded law firm.
- Previous in-house experience is desirable but not essential.
- A highly commercial approach, sound technical background and strong communication and interpersonal skills are essential for this business facing role.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time effectively and efficiently, remain flexible, re-prioritize, anticipate needs and respond to changing demands
- Capacity to develop and maintain effective, professional relationships amongst internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Proficient in English, Word, Outlook and Adobe (required); Excel and PowerPoint (preferred)