Billabong was founded on Australia's Gold Coast in 1973 by surfer and surfboard shaper Gordon Merchant and his then partner, Rena. Those early days were rather inauspicious, with the pair designing boardshorts at home, cutting them out on the kitchen table and then carting the finished product around to the local surf shop to sell.
From these humble beginnings, Billabong was born.
The Billabong Group is now one of the largest boardsport and lifestyle brands in the world. We have an impressive team of unique brands including Billabong, RVCA, Element, Von Zipper, Honolua and Xcel and retail banners including Quiet Flight, Becker Surf and Beachworks.
The Men's accessories and Footwear Designer is primarily responsible for the design and assist in the development of men’s bag, accessory and footwear products and programs for the Billabong brand, as briefed in by the director of merchandising and global regions. Delivering on specific account / channel / consumer needs to create channel segmentation and account differentiation.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Design products across bag, accessory, and footwear categories for the Billabong Men’s brand.
- Help to develop seasonal ranges including tech design / bom / color / visual line planning.
- Assist in developing new constructions, fabrications, techniques, treatments and processes to help lead the marketplace and deliver on specific needs.
- Design into identified opportunities as architected in the range as well as bring consumer relevant ideas and concepts to the table.
- Design into targeted price-points, categories and silhouettes in accordance margin requirements.
- Work closely with development in reviewing prototypes, and submits for approval for all categories from design concept to production.
- Ensure that all design, artwork, prints, materials, and fabrics for sourcing are sent in correct format with all correct information to suppliers.
- Work with development and technical design to ensure that all information on Line Plan, PLM, catalog, and AS400 are all correct and up to date.
- Assist in PLM management including style set-up for all styles and trims by creating and maintaining BOM’s, updating style information and changes as necessary, all sample comments, and approvals.
- In-depth design and product development knowledge across bag, accessory, and footwear categories.
- Knowledge of product development calendar, timelines, and deliverables.
- Develop key relationships with vendors suppliers.
- Must be able to multi task and work in fast paced environment.
- Must be proactive with a solution/result oriented attitude.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication and follow through skills.
- Must be highly organized and detailed oriented.
- Must be MAC computer literate in Applications – Adobe Illustrator, Word, and Excel.
- Degree, design or product development preferred.
- 5+ years experience in product development.
- Professional working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, as well as experience with Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- PLM system knowledge.