Art Direction is a critical function of any business, and at Element it’s no different. It starts and ends with the consumer, and is expressed primarily through story telling. As the Global Art Director, your role is to apply this, as well as all the other Design Principles, to develop profitable Consumer Right Assortments (CRA’s) that deliver the right product, at the right place, at the right price, at the right time, and in the right quantity. You will be responsible for driving graphical cohesion across the brand and all products it makes.
As a member of the Leadership Team, you will lead direct reports. You will be responsible for the entire Element product art creation engine which includes, but is not limited to: Men’s & Boys Apparel & Accessories, Women’s Apparel & Accessories, Men’s & Boys Footwear, Skate Hardgoods and all collateral categories. You will be responsible to lead, empower, train, and grow the careers and skills of those under your charge.
The Global Art Director works in unison with the Global Creative Director to conceptualize, set, and execute the graphical interpretation of the creative vision, both category and cross-category. This role serves to elevate the consumer experience through art and design. A successful Global Art Director balances multiple projects from concept to launch acting as a creative lead when needed while working closely with the Creative Director, Design team, and other creative personnel. They will also be able to both balance the traditional calendar build with that of a speed to market, quick-response calendar. This will enable the brand to execute not only the traditional design build, but also react quickly to changing market conditions, account specific SMU requests, broader OMU injection packages, and more. Further, understanding and adhering to all calendar dates & gates will prove critical to the success of both the Global Art Director, and the Element brand at large.
Understanding the global nature of the Element brand, and being able to drive both global consistency and regional relevance is critical. While there are some global consistencies, the Global Art Director needs to firmly understand the regional nuances of markets, and be able to apply that knowledge across the art created.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Creates the short- and long-term Art Direction, vision and strategies for Element Brand; communicates the Art Direction and vision to key stakeholders
- Deliver the Art Direction segment of the Seasonal Creative Brief from a Global point of view for every season. Working cross-functionally with the team to gather, interpret, understand, and guide the Art Direction process for the Element Brand
- Develops strong consumer-oriented points of view and leads the art team in executing the vision in seasonal product launches
- Oversees execution of all product details, including construction detail, color, form, style, detail, fit performance, graphic application, trim, etc. from an Art Direction point of view
- Contributes to the process by both creating art and creating tech packs for designs
- Ensures key product creation process dates/gates are met, design tools are effectively utilized, and cross-functional deliverables are met
- Leads, influences, and delivers premium product across categories
- Maintains strong cross-functional relationships and builds matrix relationships across the Billabong Group in service of the Element Brand vision & strategy
- Working closely with Head of Development to advance strategies for improving margins, product quality and integrity and to deliver based on knowledge of best practices for sourcing, product design and development, vendor management and planning.
- Ensuring that art team is aware of trends improvements in both techniques, technologies that will enhance the brand performance.
- Provide leadership, guidance and direction to art team, contract designers and outside design and production vendors.
- Make certain that working process, documentations and planning are efficient and work is delivered within brands season calendar dates.
- Adherence to Line management, Style and Sku KPI , given by Senior brand management.
- Evaluating and modifying proposed product designs to meet end-cost goals.
- Monitoring closely market trends and competitor performance.
- Lead and champion the development of all team members, both directly within your charge, and within the business as a whole
- Set objectives and KPI’s to ensure your team achieves strategic objectives
- Provide coaching and recognition and manage performance to ensure your team is continually learning and developing within their given roles
- Recruit, select, and identify talent
- Partner with HR to develop succession plans to ensure development of key staff members
- Model behaviours expected from the team and in line with company values
- Ensure employees are well informed and teamwork is fostered through appropriate planned on-going communication
- Ensure your teams adherence to legal and policy requirements (e.g. Workplace Health and Safety, Billabong policies, harassment and discrimination laws)
- Establish effective relationships with cross-functional business partners
- Challenge business partners to drive optimal results, with facts supporting the brand’s strategic intent
- Lead and develop a strong Global Art team
- Partner very closely with Global VP of Merchandising & Design to deliver profitable consumer right assortments
- Partner closely with Sourcing to review product costing ensuring IGP targets are met
- Support Global initiatives for Fabric First, Product Commercialization, and improved Order-to-Delivery
- 10+ years graphic design experience as a full-time employee
- 5+ years experience leading Art Direction for a global brand
- 5+ years experience leading diverse teams both internal and external (outside freelance)
- Bachelors Degree in Commercial art/graphic, design/industrial design, or equivalent
- Ability to implement brand right & consumer relevant artistic direction and vision
- Ability to identify key marketplace trends and opportunities that are consistent with brand values and aesthetic and capitalize on those opportunities in a timely manner
- Deep knowledge of the design and development process / calendars / timelines
- Proactive solution seeker, results oriented attitude
- Must have excellent communication and follow-through skills
- Must be highly organized and detailed
- Managing a group of designers in a fast pace environment. Understanding how to triage importance of deliverables and adjust accordingly
- Be able to multitask and keep track of multiple projects at once
- Knowledge in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Keynote
- Familiarity with PLM systems
- Typography, Graphic Design, Illustration, Layout, etc.