ABOUT THE BRAND
Billabong was founded on Australia's Gold Coast in 1973 by surfer and surfboard shaper Gordon Merchant. Those early days were rather inauspicious, with the Gordon designing boardshorts at home, cutting them out on the kitchen table and then carting the finished product around to the local surf shop to sell. From these humble beginnings, Billabong was born.
The Billabong Brand is now hugely successful internationally, resonating with people who share this surf lifestyle mindset in countries across the globe. The brand is authentic and inspirational in the surf, snow and skate markets.
The Billabong family brands are looking for a Senior Front End Engineer in the Global IT team reporting to the Director of Global IT Enterprise Architecture. The Front End Engineer will serve a critical role in developing and supporting the organization’s Global IT OMNI User Experience Delivery function.
If you are looking for a career-defining opportunity within one of the most visible teams within the Billabong family of sports action brands, we’d love to hear from you.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Design, develop, test front end code for multiple brands in multiple regions.
- Implement Responsive designs using a modern front-end framework.
- Utilize RESTful APIs communicate with server data.
- Exercise good development practices such as test-driven development.
- Research and evaluate tools, frameworks, and other technologies to efficiently address requirements.
- Learn and adhere to the practices and principles of the Agile development team.
- Full participation in team meetings such as daily stand-ups, retrospectives, planning meetings, and knowledge sharing sessions.
- Bachelor’s or Technical Degree or the equivalent in a technical discipline (Computer Science, Physics, Engineering, Information Technology)
- At least 5+ years’ experience in all aspects of front end coding.
- Strong background with UNIX/Linux/Windows operating systems
- Working knowledge of front end libraries and the ability to write JS code without libraries
- Understanding of lean and agile practices
- Experience in Software Engineering practices: TDD/BDD unit/functional automated testing, software design and architecture
- Refined software development talent as shown by professional delivered products, your personal projects or open source contributions
- Experience with implementing Responsive designs
- Up to date with the latest browser developments and how to use them in code
- Well versed in software engineering principles, frameworks and technologies
- Ability to solve problems with creativity and perseverance
- Good team communication skills
- Experience deploying iOS, Android is a plus.
- Characteristics you should possess to be successful in our culture
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skill
- Excellent experience working with browser debugging tools (Chrome Developer Tools, FireBug, Charles etc.)
- Experience using XML, JSON and/or other information persistence format.
- Experience integrating third party Front End code.
- Ability to communicate well verbally and in written form.
- Strong understanding of web technologies involved in responsive web page delivery to the browser i.e. DOM, AJAX, JS, JQuery, SASS and CSS gained through commercial FE development experience
- Excellent HTML5/Java script/CSS3 development skills using industry best practice and ‘Clean Coding’ techniques are essential
- Detailed knowledge and experience with Source control applications (Git) is important
- Excellent understanding of web protocols including HTTP is essential