In 1992, the Element seed was planted.
Our goal was simple, to be the best we could be in the most honest and ethical way possible. We joined together to elevate what we all truly believe in. Today we continue to create the art, direction and message on the constant path to bring progress to skateboarding. We are more than a business, we are a family, all on the same journey for the growth within ourselves, Element, and all that surrounds us. -JOHNNY SCHILLEREFF, FOUNDER
Merchandising is a critical function of any business, and at Element it’s no different. It starts and ends with the consumer, and is expressed primarily through story telling. As the Element Hardgoods Merchandiser, your role is to apply this, as well as all the other Merchandising Principles, to develop profitable Consumer Right Assortments (CRA’s) that deliver the right product, at the right place, at the right price, at the right time, and in the right quantity. You will be responsible for driving profitable and sustainable growth across all categories and projects that you oversee, and will be an integral part in strategy building to achieve this. Those categories include all hardgoods and after market commodity categories for Skate, as well as accompanying softgoods where applicable. You have a proven ability to understand the consumer, and most importantly their needs. An ability to recognize trends, capitalize as appropriate, and see beyond to identify “what’s next”. You are highly analytical, but also creative, and have the ability to blend both the art with the science of Merchandising. And as such, you will be successful in working cross functionally with the Global and Regional teams to deliver upon this with globally relevant CRA’s to the marketplace. You will also champion the Element experience for the brand by working closely with your colleagues to bring cross-merchandising to life. You will be an integral part of the Go-To-Market process, delivering presentations, strategies, tools, and guidelines that will help drive the CRA’s, in conjunction with Sales, to the accounts and ultimately the consumer.
Preferably, the ideal candidate will have 4+ years of related professional experience. Should be willing to work as part of a team. The ability to interact with cross-functionally with Merchandising, Sales, Marketing, Finance, Planning, Sourcing, and Supply Chain is essential. The ability to work under pressure, think strategically, and act tactically, being open minded and flexible are all considered key qualities of a Element Hardgoods Merchandiser.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Create a premium consumer experience by identifying, prioritizing and framing consumer trends (insights); take regional inputs from Regional offices and weave into the Global product engine to inform and influence the product creation process. Provide qualitative information (trends, color, materials, graphics, price/value, performance, innovation needs
- Adhere to the Global M&D Master Calendar, ensuring that all dates and gates are met. Create and manage a relevant Energy/Quickstrike/Special Project/Collaboration/etc. separate calendar, and remain highly communicative as to what projects are in the pipeline. Work seamlessly with Marketing counterparts to ensure they have visibility, and collaborate on building an activation plan for each
- Create seasonal merchandising briefs and business plans. Collaborate cross-functionally within the Merchandising team to ensure cohesion. Communicate these plans outwardly to regional teams as well as the Global LT
- Create seasonal Athlete strategies that leverage and maximize the potential of the Skate Team. Ensure that the proper distortion strategy is concepted and delivered regarding the marquee riders (ex: Nyjah Huston)
- Execute segmentation through profitable consumer right assortments that leverage Category Drivers, Seasonal, and Seasonal Energy products and key programs to meet/exceed revenue targets for both Wholesale and DTC partners. Making sure to leverage fully the “Best At” categories throughout the process
- Provide seasonal visual assortment tools to support sales efforts, and partner with them to present and land profitable consumer right assortments
- Lead and ensure a flawless Go-To-Market process
- Develop cost/pricing matrix for all seasonal pricing architecture
- Drive effective cross-functional collaboration with Regional Sales and Global teams
- Work closely with internal teams to facilitate the timely and correct delivery of Sales Samples. Analyze and continually seek to improve the samples process, optimizing both effectiveness and costs.
- Manager and ensure that PLM is continually updated with accurate and actionable information. Ensure that PLM is both accurate and up to date at all times. Responsible to oversee PLM management including style set-up for all categories, updating style information and changes as necessary.
- Understand the metrics of SKU Efficiency, how to manage, analyse, and control in a way that delivers the right number, in the right places, at the right time to drive growth
- Attend Global Milestone Meetings, Regional Tradeshows, Key Account Meetings, and Markets Visits as needed once aligned on with VP Global M&D
- Deliver all assigned projects on time, in full, and while maintaining quality standards
- Partner with Production to review all prototypes and final products
- Negotiate costs with vendors to ensure margin requirements are met.
- Create and maintain tracking reports sales and margin reports.
- Work with Production Department to ensure that communication with vendors in regards to prototypes, reference samples are ordered and received correctly on time.
- Creative conduit for Skate Team on brand relevant products and debriefing out to Element leadership team
- Working closely with Global Art Director on creative process to ensure that brand vision is applied to skate hardgoods category
- Working closely with in-house Graphic Artists to translate the creative direction into tangible product. Where needed selecting and managing freelance artists while adhering to budget
- Direct involvement with the Skate Team relating to hardgood and softgood product design, development, innovation, construction, and graphic approval process, including development of Team and individual Rider Board strategies
- Create seasonal forecasts by partnering with cross-functional teams in Planning and Operations; ensuring forecast accuracy and influencing the overall buys
- Key presentation to sales organization at Sales Meetings and Key Account Meetings
- Support sales team globally for seasonal line introductions as needed
- Create overarching product briefs for all seasonal product lines, seasonal energy injections, collaborations, special projects, quickstrikes, and all other miscellaneous projects you oversee.
- Work with Marketing team to detail a comprehensive global activation plan for all products you oversee. Activation should include (but is not limited to): Product Drop/Phasing Plan, Brand Collateral, Taglines, Logos and Graphics, Imagery, and any Visual/Digital/Video assets, content release schedule, any Events associated with the project, trade marketing and in-store activation, and budget analysis
- Working with marketing team on marketing production deadlines for relevant communication assets based on Merchandising Master Calendar
- Coordinate assets for weekly product feature on brand website.
- Other tasks may be assigned from time to time which contribute to the overall success of the brand
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, with an emphasis on Merchandising, Marketing, Economics, Product Development, or similar discipline
- 4+ years of related professional experience, preferably within the Footwear, Apparel, Action Sports, or Lifestyle industry with progressive experience in Merchandising. An emphasis on Skate specifically preferred
- Established relationships in and around the skate, art and entertainment industry preferred
- Exceptional track record in contributing to integrated marketing plans and strategies in a highly competitive market space that have consistently met or exceeded planned objectives
- Strong knowledge of the inner workings of the hardgoods and apparel industry
- Dynamic leadership skills demonstrated by the ability to inspire a diverse team of individuals toward a common goal
- Diversified business experience in a Merchandising position with organizations of various size & industries
- Must have a thorough understanding of the merchandising process from inception to consumer, and how departments are interconnected throughout the process
- Language skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills. Excellent understanding of the English language
- Highly Analytical: emphasis on numerical and statistical analysis, with an understanding of how to effectively apply the principles. Ability to mine the data for meaningful business insights
- Exceptional group presentation skills. Ability to deliver high level presentations to large and varied audiences
- Technical skills: Advanced knowledge of Windows applications, Powerpoint, Word, Excel, along with MAC OSX and Keynote
- Proven ability to ideate and apply creative thinking, including DTC and WHSL execution concepts, color application in assortment building, and visual presentation development
- Experience with Adobe CS is an advantage: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Other skills: Ability to successfully adjust to rapid change, flexible with extended work hours and work in an open environment with the merchandising team and cross-functional partners. Ability to work under pressure, think strategically, act tactically, being open minded and flexible.
- Strong interpersonal, networking, and negotiation skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple, high priority assets and projects; with the ability to triage and adjust importance and deliverables
- Proactive, energetic, self-starter looking to have a significant impact on business success
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Ability to travel both domestic and international
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills