We have a serious case of surf fever since 1973, when Gordon Merchant and wife Rena started handcrafting board shorts in Australia’s Gold Coast. Since then, Billabong has created a lifestyle brand for women who have an undeniable love for the ocean. She is the spirit of our brand, a dreamer and an experience seeker who travels widely but never roams too far from the sea. It’s for her that we stand by our commitment to uncompromising quality and uncommon design. Holding the leading market share in action sports apparel, we offer clothing, accessories and swimwear to suit her lifestyle.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Merchandising, Womens is responsible for developing, managing and executing the merchandise strategy, line plan and architecture for all Billabong Womens/Girls Categories.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Develop and execute high-level merchandise strategy to meet or exceed financial goals and customer expectations
- Architecture: develop merchandise strategy and create and manage assortment plan for all categories including: breadth, depth, price-point, revenue, margin targets, segmentation strategy, and retail space allocation (end in mind)
- Review and react to all available analytics (sell in / sell through / marketplace data / etc) to build firm Merchandising strategy to inform Women’s inline architecture.
- Marketplace: in depth knowledge of market, trends, innovation, competition, and product and interpret market and consumer trends and ensure we are meeting market needs
- Communication: Ensure clear and consistent communication with cross-functional sales, retail, marketing and demand planning teams
- Work closely with designers and development in reviewing prototypes, photo samples, and submit for approval for all categories from design concept to production.
- Communicate wholesale/margin targets to the sourcing team based on volume, technique, fabrication and cost.
- Establish and nurture relationships with buyers and key sales reps.
- Manage proactive and reactive needs for business.
- Manage SMU Developer/Designer and Merchandise Analyst.
- Prior experience in a similar role, preferably within the action sports or fashion industry in apparel, footwear, accessory, outerwear and wetsuit categories.
- Sound understanding of the concepts and practice of design and merchandising.
- Experience developing a product strategy that is consistent with brand values and design aesthetic.
- Understanding of the needs of the market, retailers, suppliers and internal stakeholders
- Previous leadership/management experience
- Ability to identify and predict future product opportunities/trends.
- Knowledge of product development calendar, timelines and deliverables.
- Must be able to multi task and work in fast paced environment.
- Must be proactive with a solution/result oriented attitude.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication and follow through skills.
- Must be highly organized and detailed oriented.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Must be PC and MAC computer literate in Applications – Outlook, Excel, Adobe Illustrator, Word, Cliq View and PLM.
- Understanding of retail math and PLM system.
- Bachelors Degree, Business administration or Retail Merchandising preferred.
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within a 2 week period.