Billabong was founded on Australia's Gold Coast in 1973 by surfer and surfboard shaper Gordon Merchant. Those early days were rather inauspicious, with the Gordon designing boardshorts at home, cutting them out on the kitchen table and then carting the finished product around to the local surf shop to sell.
From these humble beginnings, Billabong was born.
The Billabong Brand is now hugely successful internationally, resonating with people who share this surf lifestyle mindset in countries across the globe. The brand is authentic and inspirational in the surf, snow and skate markets.
The Director, Ecommerce, Brand Billabong provides leadership and vision to define and drive the global Ecommerce business for brand Billabong. This position leads the presentation of the brand online, supporting the campaigns and initiatives that originate within the brand marketing and merchandising departments. In addition, this position is responsible for working closely with the merchandising and retail departments to define and expand the assortment exclusively carried for the ecommerce business.
This position is responsible to grow sales and profitability of the ecommerce site, and oversees expansion. This position directly manages a multi-functional team, consisting of ecommerce buying, digital marketing, web production, photography, design, copywriting and partners closely with the customer contact center, analytics and database marketing team and the company’s technology group.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Take a strategic view of the digital commerce landscape, keeping current with industry best practices and trends.
- Lead a talented team of ecommerce professionals providing vision, direction and guidance.
- Lead ecommerce buying, OTB, planning, web merchandising and product presentation, including category and general range expansion.
- Optimize the experience on existing site to improve conversion and increase repeat purchases.
- Strategically and profitably expand ecommerce into additional regions and countries.
- Manage a large P&L across regions.
- Oversee the implementation and utilization of database marketing program to drive brand loyalty and sales.
- Maintain positive open lines of communication with all brand leadership and other key contacts across many internal departments in order to inform, build partnerships and further evangelize the importance of the digital space to Columbia’s efforts.
- Oversee concept development, strategizing, planning, implementation, and coordinating of Ecommerce initiatives.
- Play a key role in the company’s go-to-market process, and maintain a close relationship with the brand marketing team, representing the digital consumer and ecommerce efforts in the process.
- Contribute to the product strategy for the Company’s online services.
- Maintain a smooth production process, enabling the efficient handling of hundreds of updates and improvements to the sites’ functionality and design throughout each year.
- Continue to drive a multi-channel focus, presenting a unified, customer-centric view of our brand, consistent across the brick-and-mortar and digital spaces.
- Liaise with marketing design, operations, analytics and development teams.
- Influence the fulfillment and returns handling aspects of the ecommerce business. Drive decisions on packaging, delivery options and service levels.
- Frame and map opportunities based on historical results & current trends to maximize sales.
- Develop strategies to deliver financial plans (sales, margin, contribution, inventory turns).
- Partner with Finance, Marketing, Service and Planning Departments to forecast weekly/monthly sales, margins and review financial rollups.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Merchandising, Finance, Marketing or directly related field. Equivalent related experience can substitute for degree.
- Minimum of 5 to 8 years progressive experience in business management with leadership level experience in ecommerce.
- A proven track record of building a successful ecommerce business in a complex environment.
- Experience in buying, planning and merchandising is highly desirable.
- Experience in the apparel and/or sportswear business is highly desirable.
- Experience with P&L management, ecommerce and database marketing, digital production, design and technology tools and process is highly desirable.