Billabong was founded on Australia's Gold Coast in 1973 by surfer and surfboard shaper Gordon Merchant and his then partner, Rena. Those early days were rather inauspicious, with the pair designing boardshorts at home, cutting them out on the kitchen table and then carting the finished product around to the local surf shop to sell.
From these humble beginnings, Billabong was born.
The Billabong Group is now one of the largest boardsport and lifestyle brands in the world. We have an impressive team of unique brands including Billabong, RVCA, Element, Von Zipper, Honolua and Xcel and retail banners including Quiet Flight, Becker Surf and Beachworks.
The Designer of Men's Sportswear is primarily responsible for the design and development of men's sportswear products and programs for the Billabong brand (including woven tops, bottoms and outerwear).
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Design products across sportswear categories for the Billabong Men’s brand.
- Help to develop seasonal sportswear ranges including category direction, key silhouettes / franchises / details, tech design / bom / color / visual line planning.
- Assist in developing new fabrications, techniques, treatments and processes to deliver on specific needs.
- Design into identified opportunities as architected in the range as well as bring consumer relevant ideas and concepts to the table.
- Design into targeted price-points, categories and silhouettes in accordance margin requirements
- Work closely with development in reviewing prototypes, and submits for approval for all categories from design concept to production.
- Ensure that all design, artwork, prints, and fabrics for sourcing are sent in correct format with all correct information to suppliers
- Ensure that all information on Line Plan, PLM, catalog, and AS400 are all correct and up to date.
- Assist in PLM management including style set-up for all styles and trims by creating and maintaining BOM’s, updating style information and changes as necessary, all sample comments, and approvals.
- Bachelors Degree in Design, Product Development, or Merchandising preferred
- 5+ years experience in product focused role.
- In-depth design and product development knowledge across apparel categories