Billabong was founded on Australia's Gold Coast in 1973 by surfer and surfboard shaper Gordon Merchant. Those early days were rather inauspicious, with the Gordon designing boardshorts at home, cutting them out on the kitchen table and then carting the finished product around to the local surf shop to sell.
From these humble beginnings, Billabong was born.
The Billabong Brand is now hugely successful internationally, resonating with people who share this surf lifestyle mindset in countries across the globe. The brand is authentic and inspirational in the surf, snow and skate markets.
The Designer of Men's Boardshorts and Innovation is responsible for the design and development of men’s boarshorts and performance products and programs for the Billabong brand.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Design boardshorts and innovation platforms for the Billabong Men’s brand.
- Help to develop seasonal boarshort ranges including tech design / bom / color / visual line planning.
- Assist in developing new fabrications, techniques, treatments and processes to deliver on specific needs.
- Design into identified opportunities as architected in the range as well as bring consumer relevant ideas and concepts to the table.
- Design into targeted price-points, categories and silhouettes in accordance margin requirements
- Work closely with development in reviewing prototypes, and submits for approval for all categories from design concept to production.
- Ensure that all design, artwork, prints, and fabrics for sourcing are sent in correct format with all correct information to suppliers
- Work with Spec Controller to ensure that all information on Line Plan, PLM, catalog, and AS400 are all correct and up to date.
- Assist in PLM management including style set-up for all styles and trims by creating and maintaining BOM’s, updating style information and changes as necessary, all sample comments, and approvals.
- In-depth design and product development knowledge across apparel categories
- Knowledge of product development calendar, timelines, and deliverables
- Develop key relationships with vendors suppliers
- Must be able to multi task and work in fast paced environment
- Must be proactive with a solution/result oriented attitude
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication and follow through skills
- Must be highly organized and detailed oriented
- Must be MAC computer literate in Applications – Adobe Illustrator, Word, and Excel
- Bachelors Degree, Design or Product Development / Merchandising preferred
- 5+ years experience in product / graphic design